Sunday, July 13, 2014

Regrouping After Folk School





The last couple of weeks have gone by with a blur, and I am still trying to process all of it. 
I spent last week at John C. Campbell Folk School, which is in Brasstown, NC, being an assistant instructor to Beth Johnson’s weaving class. 
There were nine students who were sampling in preparation to weaving a coverlet, which meant working out how to weave overshot and lots of drafting. 

Student Exhibit of Overshot Samples


They were a great group and came away with lots of new ideas and techniques. 
Hopefully when each of them returned home they will weave their coverlet or a throw. 






I am still trying to process all that I have learned and have experienced. 
If you have not been to or heard of the Folk School then please
 use this link www.folkschool.org to find out about them. 

This is a unique craft school with all types of classes, lots of music, 
in a beautiful setting and a lot of good food. 


Beginners and experienced alike can learn a new skill or improve an old one by the large variety of one week and weekend classes that they offer year round.
 My favorite part of the school is the music. 
Each day begins with Morning Song which is usually story telling mixed with a banjo or fiddle player to begin your day with a smile. 

Keith House where Morning Song is each morning.


This week, I have been playing catch up on house and yard chores 
before I can settle back into the studio next week.
 I have a lot of work to do, and 
I have my own coverlet planned to weave some time soon I hope. 

Beth's coverlet she wove as a teenager.

Antique coverlet

Student reproducing her great, great grandmother's coverlet.

Weaving Studio at John C. Campbell Folk School.


7 comments:

  1. What a good time you must have had! The coverlets are absolutely gorgeous. I can't wait to see some of your work............I'm hoping you make a small coverlet for a dolls bed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Sherri, I hope I can find time to try making small coverlets for doll beds. I made one for my daughter a long time ago but at that time I didn't know how to reduce the patterns to fit the size of coverlet.

      Delete
  2. It looks like you had a great time... What lovely work from the students. It looks like what my daughter Jackie teaches at the New Brunswick College of Craft and Design. She also weaves on a digital loom.

    Hugs,
    JB

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Julia, I checked out New Brunswick online. It looks like the program I attended at Haywood Comm. College. They have a professional craft program that includes design, photography, marketing and hands on experience. I graduated from their two year program in textiles.

      Delete
  3. What an amazing experience. I'm sure you learned a lot and had a ton of wisdom to share.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lurena! This was a new experience for me being on the teaching side of things.

      Delete
  4. Your students did wonderful work! Inspiring!

    ReplyDelete