Friday, January 27, 2012

The Shuttle




Now it is time to start showing you the shuttle part of “Shuttle, Hook and Needle”.

When I was a teenager I wanted to be a potter not a weaver. The first time I sat down to throw a pot on a wheel, I knew I was not a potter; but from the first time I sat down at a loom, I knew I was a weaver.

My first weaving class was at Berea College, in Berea, Kentucky. I was 18. Throwing the shuttle and watching the pattern appear was magic! I wanted a loom of my own but with no money, what to do? Since my family lived on a farm, my Dad helped me plant a sweet corn patch. I sold enough corn that summer at a local farmer’s market to buy a small Harrisville loom that came in a kit. I still have that first loom along with six and one-half other looms in the studio.

In future postings I will introduce you to each loom, its history and its function. I also will be showing you the types of weaving I am the most interested in. 

Louise

Close Up of Woven Hanging




No comments:

Post a Comment