Thursday, July 16, 2015

Shibori Dyed Wool

-->
We have finally caught up enough on the “have to do right now” list for the house 
that I can go back to work in the studio.
 I love working with wool fabric - stitching, dyeing and felting but
 especially I like the Shibori stitched and dyed wool. 
Dyeing wool fabric this way is great for applique but not for rug hooking. 
Rug hooking needs only shading which is easier to dye for 
but Shibori stitched and dyed fabric has a wonderful patterning. 
It is a little more work since you have to hand stitch your fabric and 
draw it up before dyeing but it is not complicated.

Stitched and drawn up wool fabric before pouring on concentrated dye.

Then into a dye bath to add more color on top.

Pattern starts to emerge when cutting out the ties.

Wood grain patterning.

If you have never seen Shibori before or know what it is then 
do a Google search and you will be amazed at the possibilities in using this technique.

Making an oak tree using this type of dyed wool fabric has been in my mind for quite a while.
 I usually make very few sketches when planning a new sculpture. 
I like to cut out shapes and let forms evolve with each new piece
 and I make the technical parts up as I go along. 
I am not sure how my tree is going to turn out but then 
I am never sure of how any new piece will work.
 That is one of the reasons I don’t like showing work in progress. 
If it doesn’t work then no one but me knows! 
This time I think I will give you just a glimpse of my oak tree because 
so far I am very pleased with how it is progressing.


I am taking care of my grand dog Jack this week so it has been a good time to stitch on the tree while he sleeps on the rug beside me. 

Jack is a miniature Schnauzer and a very lazy old man.
Thanks to everyone who commented and offered encouragement on my last post.
It meant a lot to me and helped me to keep a positive attitude and hope for the future.
What ever that might turn out to be.







8 comments:

  1. I have seen this in Shibori dyed silk ribbon. The wool is beautiuful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have seen shibori dyed wool and we use all kind of beautiful mixed colors in rug hooking. It really add interest when especially hooking leaves on trees or grass and even flowers. There are so many methods I would like to try but my hooking suffers because of lack of time.

    I'm glad you are finally catching up with your to do list.

    Thanks for showing your Shibori dyed wool. I'm anxious to see your tree finished.
    Have a great weekend.
    Hugs,
    JB

    ReplyDelete
  3. I missed your last post so I had no idea how crazy things have been for you! But it sounds like the changes are well thought out and very positive! I'm glad you're back to finding some time for creativity, too--it feeds us!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ahh, welcome back and what a project. I have never heard of Shibori wool and will most definitely google it. Can't wait to see the tree finished because so far it is really incredible. To me, its like a breath of fresh air to get back to my projects I'm working on or want to start. Just touching the fabric or looking in my books/magazines calms and centers me. And I'm sure I'm easier to get along with! I call blogging my group therapy. Glad you're getting settled in.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful project, and your dog is adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  6. How amazing is that! You couldn't get closer to tree bark if you pulled it off the tree....
    I have never heard of this method before, but then again, it is not my medium.. I do, however LOVE dying wool for my own projects.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Louise,
    So glad to see you are able to do something fun and creative!! Your wool is just gorgeous!! I have never heard of this before but it offers amazing results!! Can't wait to see what you come up with!!
    Your little grand dog is so sweet and has the right idea for all of us!!!!
    Take care, and enjoy your Sunday!
    Warm Hugs~
    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  8. The most gorgeous tree ever! I am so interested in this...heading off to google!

    ReplyDelete