Sunday, October 28, 2012

SAFF


View of the main arena's sales area.


On Friday, Pog and I went to the Southeastern Animal Fiber Fair (SAFF), which is held in Asheville each year. I love to see the sheep, llamas, alpaca’s and angora rabbits. The amount of yarn, fiber, and equipment can be overwhelming, but I went with one thing in mind. This winter I am going to dust off my unused spinning wheel and start spinning again.

I bought a couple of wool fleeces. One is a Corriedale and the other fleece is a mix of Romeldale/ CVM sheep, which are coarser wools but will spin up very well for what I have in mind.


The two fleeces I bought.

I got the mixed fleece for only eleven dollars, which is a great price. I wish I could have afforded some of the angora, but it was too pricey for me to learn to spin on again. Back in the 80’s, I had my own spinning flock and had taken a class with Persis Grayson at Penland School of Crafts. I haven’t done a whole lot of spinning since then.


Baby Alpaca.      






Angora Goat

Llamas




A lot of beautiful yarns to pick from!


Pog and I were busy yesterday getting things outside put away, flowers brought in and the wood box filled. The mountains are expecting wind, snow flurries and our first frost/freeze at the first of the week. The temp has been dropping this afternoon and the wind picking up. You can feel the chill in the air now. I don’t mind the snow but high winds can be dangerous when you live in the woods.


You can see the clouds and rain coming over the mountains.

Wishing everyone a safe ride thru the coming storm.

No comments:

Post a Comment